Thursday, October 23, 2014

My Presentation at Pearl River Community College, 10/23/14

Today, I gave my presentation at Pearl River Community College in Poplarville.  This talk was in conjunction with the Outstanding Humanities Instructor award I received.  It was such an honor to be able to speak at the college where I attended as a student and now teach at as an instructor.


Photos by Cindy Harriel.

Here is Dr. Lewis, president of PRCC, presenting me with my award on behalf of the Mississippi Humanities Council:


  
 My mom was able to attend my presentation for the first time, and it was a blessing.  She has always encouraged me to go for my dreams, whether they involved academics or athletics, and has been a guiding light throughout my life.  When I first became interested in the Civil War as an elementary student, she helped fuel my passion for the subject by buying me books, which I absorbed.  Still to this day on Christmases and birthdays, I can generally count on receiving books as gifts from her.  Not only has she been a role model in my life, she is a technology guru and helped me get set up.   Thank goodness!  Furthermore, she can sew and made this nice protective carrying case for my projector. There's nothing she can't do.  She is my hero.



I am so blessed to have the support of my fellow math and science instructors who showed up and sat in the front so I could clearly see their smiling faces!  It was such a joy.  There were a lot of instructors from other disciplines present as well as quite a few students.  I love my PRCC family!

Here is a picture of the crowd beginning to filter in:



Here is a picture of me preparing for my talk while the crowd is getting settled.


As with all of my presentations, I had a blast and can't wait to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment