Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Talk at the Pascagoula Public Library-10/4/16

Here's a bit of trivia.  Ninty-five percent of Pascagoula was under water after Katrina.  Almost all of my friends and family who live there lost everything.  I'm very glad to say that they have all rebuilt and doing extremely well today.

Another bit of trivia.  Pascagoula was also the location where a squirrel went berserk per the Ray Stevens song.

Well, I can't believe it finally happened.  I can honestly report that nothing crazy happened at my presentation last night at the Pascagoula Public Library.

The talk was part of the Mississippi Humanities Council's First Tuesday Speaker Series, and I was extremely honored to have been asked to participate.  The crowd was a nice size.  As a matter of fact, I was told that there were more who attended than their previous talks, which was exciting!  The men and women in attendance were very engaging.  I saw a lot of smiles, head nods, and even shocked expressions.  I got tickled at one lady in particular who audibly gasped and put her hand over her mouth a few times.  I saw a lot of them deep in thought and reflection.  One lady was on the verge of tears.  And then there was laughter as well.  During my talks, I strive to take my audience through a range of emotions.  So when I see a variety of reactions like I got last night, I feel as if I've accomplished my goal.  It shows the attendees are not only absorbing the information but allowing it to permeate their souls.
I had several guests tell me afterwards that they were interested in learning more.  This is always good to hear.  I, of course, can only share so much.  So when I can inspire someone to want to read on their own, I feel I have accomplished another goal.

Among the guests were my good friend, Shellie, and my Aunt Betty.  I was extremely blessed to have them there and greatly appreciated their support and lending me a hand to help me pack everything back up.  My Aunt Betty in particular did a marvelous job handling my reenacting gear, which she managed to pack in my duffel bag better than I ever have!

She made a comment on how beautiful the flowers were that the staff put out, and they gave them to her!  That was so nice.  They were very accommodating and kind.  I was very pleased to see everything set up and waiting for me when I got there.  I have to use my own laptop but decided to use their projector instead of mine since it was ready to go.  Maybe that's why I didn't have any problems.  Ha!   Not only did they have cute flowers set up on a table, but they also had some delicious lemonade and cookies!  That's what I'm talking about.  Yum!

When I was done, Shellie, Aunt Betty, and several of my other friends and family members from Pascagoula got together for a nice steak dinner.  I thoroughly enjoyed the food and fellowship. Overall, it was an absolutely wonderful evening.  I was just missing Mark who was unable to attend.

I apologize for not having any pictures.  The few that I have didn't come out.

Until next formation....rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment