Wednesday, September 16, 2015

My Talk for the Jackson Military Road Chapter of the DAR



I ended this year’s talks in the same place where I started, my home state.  But unlike the first, my last scheduled presentation didn’t deal exclusively with women who fought in the Civil War.  This time I ventured into new territory as I spoke to the Jackson Military Road chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) in Purvis, Mississippi.   I was very honored to be invited by Carolyn Ruegger who taught me math at Pearl River Community College.  Her daughter, Anita Morrow, also taught me math.  Throughout my life, God has placed influential people in my path who have helped mold me into the person I am today.  Mrs. Carolyn and Mrs. Anita are among these. 

(Photos courtesy Mrs. Anita Morrow, my colleague here at Pearl River Community College)

Me giving Mrs. Carolyn Ruegger a big ol' hug!

 

So yeah, my former math instructor (now retired) invited me, a current math instructor, to deliver my Civil War presentation to her DAR group!  And it went great!  

Because there’s not as much known about the women who fought disguised as men in the Revolution, I blended an abbreviated version of my Civil War talk with a discussion that included the stories of nine women soldiers of the Revolution.  In doing so, I shared pictures, service records, and documents, which I think the group enjoyed.  

This was a great group of ladies (and one gentleman) who welcomed me with open arms.  To show their appreciation, they presented me with homemade blueberry jelly, mums, a DAR medallion, and a sweet card.  I certainly don’t expect or desire anything in return for speaking about women soldiers, but I am grateful for the wonderful gifts and kind gestures nevertheless.  

Mrs. Anita Morrow, me, Mrs. Carolyn Ruegger
 
And so concludes the presentations I had scheduled this year.  It has been successful and fun, and I’m looking forward to more in the future.  

Until next formation……rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment