Friday, August 7, 2015

Boscobel AAR

I consider myself semi-retired from reenacting.  The only event I generally attend a year is Muskets
Photo by Tom George Davison
and Memories in Boscobel, Wisconsin held annually the first weekend in August.   I still can't get over how cool Wisconsin is this time of year.  While my friends and family are drinking the air in Mississippi, I'm typically freezing under a wool blanket.  I campaign, which means I only bring what I can carry on my person and sleep under the stars with no tent.  In that regard, you get a sense as to what the soldiers experienced.  I am in the infantry and, as a lifelong athlete, enjoy the physical challenge of it.  You definitely get a good workout!

Mark is the overall Confederate commander at this event and helps design the battle scenarios, which he typically researches months in advance.  He, and a lot of others, put a lot of time and effort into it, which results in a good event that typically draws large crowds.  The small town embraces it as well.


This year, the event organizers wanted to honor Alonzo Cushing who was recently awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Gettysburg.  He had local ties, having been born in Delafield, Wisconsin.  (Boscobel itself had a Medal of Honor winner who served with a woman soldier.  Click HERE to read about them.)


So after the Cushing ceremony, which I didn't get to see, we recreated part of the first day's fighting at Gettysburg and then did Pickett's Charge to show the crowd how he received his award.  Sunday, we reenacted the Morris Farm fight, part of the Bentonville battle.  Before Bentonville, all Confederate forces were marched to the field where we witnessed the recreation of an execution of a soldier who had deserted his post.  I'm thankful that everybody took the scenario seriously.  You could hear a pin drop.   It was very poignant and well done.  I know that doesn't sound right, but executions did happen, and we try to recreate ALL aspects of a soldier's experience, not just the battles.

There were women at both Gettysburg and Bentonville, and I was delighted to be able to share their stories on Sunday during my talk.   Last year was the first time I spoke in an informal setting without my power point, but I enjoyed the challenge.   And I'm thankful Ms. Marie Leifeit, one of event organizers, asked me to speak again this year.  Last year, I spoke on Saturday in front of a large crowd.  I wasn't expecting the same this time because I was scheduled on Sunday.  But I was pleasantly surprised that the event tent was nearly full!  I was also extremely thrilled to have many of the boys in my unit there as well.  They are very supportive, and it means a great deal to me.   I was also thrilled to see my friends I met last year, Barbara and Kristina Thyren, who helped me get things set up.

Photo by Tom George Davison
Even though I embrace the challenge and the change of speaking in a different format, my hands are pretty much tied as to what I can do in an informal setting.  I did bring visual aids, which the crowd enjoyed, but I do hope the attendees get to witness one of my power point presentations where I can expand on a lot of what I talked about.


I received a lot of great questions.  One, in particular, made me smile.  A very young girl sitting on her mother's lap asked, with the help of her mother, if there were any women soldiers who received the medal of honor.  I knew I was gazing upon a future researcher who will, hopefully, carry on our work. 

And no, there were no medal of honor recipients among women soldiers.  The government denied their existence despite official documents proving otherwise.  The government, in the guise of the National Park Service, still denies their existence to an extent.   Now some, such as Vicksburg, embrace the women soldiers who fought there.  Others......not so much.

So no, none of them received governmental accolades for their service.  But the fact that they were promoted speaks to their bravery and dedication.  That's another post.

In addition to being asked to talk about women soldiers again during the reenactment, Mark and I were also invited to participate in an interview on the WRCO morning show on Friday before the event.  Last year was my first time to ever appear on radio, and I was so nervous that my mama even got on to me!  This year was much better.   If you would like to listen, click HERE.

One of the most meaningful gestures shown to me and Mark was the presentation of flag of the 2nd
Brandon's hand-sewn 2nd MS flag he gave to us.
Mississippi Infantry, hand-sewn by a friend of ours, Brandon Jolly, for the 135th Gettysburg reenactment.  It was not flown again until Boscobel on August 1st, 2015.  I know how much work he put into this project, and I know how much it has meant to both he and Mark.  The presentation of such a wonderful gift literally brought me to tears.

Another Boscobel has come and gone.  My summer is over, and it's back-to-school time.  Looking forward to next year, Lord willing! 

Until next formation......rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment