Monday, July 20, 2015

My Talks in Newark, Ohio and Fort Donelson, Tennessee, 7/14 and 7/16/15

Unlike the last time I traveled by train to speak, I actually showed up at the station on the correct day.  Mark picked me up in Illinois and off we went to Newark, Ohio where I would speak at the Licking County Library.  Doug Stout, who is Head of Circulation and Building Service was waiting for us and was wonderful with everything.  I met Doug last year when I saw him post on the Facebook page of Petersburg National Battlefield.  He was putting on a program at his library about the battle and was looking for interesting stories to share.  I responded to him with the account of the woman soldier unearthed at the Crater in 1866,  which I wrote about (HERE).  The next thing I know, we became friends and he invited me to speak at his library!  Of course, I was very honored.


Even though I had been looking forward to meeting Doug in person and giving my presentation, I
Doug Stout introducing me
was a bit apprehensive about being north of the Mason-Dixon line for the first time since the whole battle flag controversy started.  Thankfully, nobody told me to go home.  On the contrary, the nice crowd of over 50 people was welcoming and a lot of fun!  They were very engaging and weren't afraid to laugh, which I enjoy. 

Speaking of emotions and stuff, I reached a milestone during this talk:  I made a man cry.  It's not terribly uncommon to see women shed some tears.  But this was different.  They laughed and cried.  So I feel my job was done.

The attendees were very respectful.  Nobody asked me about the controversy during the Q&A time, which I appreciated.  It wasn't the time or place for it.  I did have a couple of ladies privately and politely ask my views after everything was done, and I shared my opinions with them.

I always have challenges with technology.  This time it was my mic.  But it was actually my fault because my dress didn't have anything I could clip it on to.  So I ended up having to use my teacher voice, which meant my poor vocal chords were done for at the end of the talk.

Oh, I learned how to pronounce Gallipolis.  No, it's not like the city in Italy.  It's actually pronounced gal-uh-POLE-us.  Yeah, I would have never guessed!  There were women soldiers with a connection to this city, and their newspaper printed several articles about them.  So I have encountered this word in my research.  Now I know the correct way to say it!
Mark answers questions about the gear.

I always like to hear from people who attended my talk.  One lady named Sue actually took the time to compose a nice email, part of which said, "I enjoyed so much your presentation last night!  So much I didn't know or had even thought about.  Loved your teaching style...."

Doug paid my presentation the greatest respect when he said in part, "That these woman managed to do this amazes me and that we don't know them saddens me........a female posing as a male dying on a battlefield and placed in an unmarked grave, or marked with their male name, they are lost to the ages, never to hear us say thank you, never to see their name engraved upon a plaque, or listed as a veteran from their county. Never to be recognized, I can think of no greater tragedy then to be forgotten. Thank goodness for Shelby to take the time and dedication to research this for no other reason than a passion to let these women live."

He gets it!  Doug himself does a lot of good work researching and documenting soldiers from his county who fought in all wars.

After bidding our new friends in Newark goodbye, Mark and I headed south to Tennessee with a stop in Kentucky to visit Perryville and a couple of museums in Bardstown, one of which is devoted to women in the Civil War.  I was pleased to see some exhibits on women soldiers.  After that, we made our way to Fort Donelson to speak to their roundtable.  Mark and I spent the day touring the battlefield and had the pleasure of speaking to Ranger D.J. (I apologize for forgetting his last name).  He was interested in my research and I was pleased to show him some articles I had.

John Walsh, the president of the round table, was out of town on business and was not able to attend, but his wife, Nikki, was terrific and had everything under control and running smoothly.
Fort Donelson Round Table; photo by Mark Hidleguagh
 
Mark and I got lost on the way to the visitor center (dad gum GPS!!!) but we arrived in time to get everything set up.   All of my technology worked, which made me very happy.  I didn't need a mic due to the smaller crowd and set up of the room.

And even though the group was smaller and less vocal, they were very knowledgeable and asked some of the best questions!  They wanted to know casualty statistics and all kinds of information on pensions.  They asked about rank and even inquired about the reenacting pictures I show on the last slide.  I also received quite a few queries about my "book."  As a matter of fact, Mark said that was the very first question he was asked while manning the "gear table."  At least I know there is some interest....if I ever get the thing written. 

Oh, and there were some ladies brought to tears....no men this time.  At least none that I saw.....

Until next formation.....rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment