Friday, November 21, 2014

Talks for the Poplarville Rotary Club and PRCC-Forrest County Branch

I gave my last two scheduled talks of the year this past week.  On Wednesday, I spoke at the Poplarville Rotary Club meeting.  It was challenging because I was told that I only had 15-20 minutes.  My presentation generally runs over an hour, so yikes!  I ended up just giving a brief version of the FAQ's page I have posted here on my blog and showing a couple of visual aids in lieu of my power point presentation.


My talk was well received.  I saw a lot of nodding heads, smiling faces, and arched eyebrows in surprise.  It is always fun to speak to people who are engaging.

Before my talk, I was treated to a meal of fried chicken, which is one of the staples of a Southern diet.  Steve Reid shared my table.  He is the president of the rotary club and graduated high school a couple of years ahead of me.  I hadn't seen him in a while, and it was nice catching up.

Afterwards, rotary club member Dr. John Grant stayed and talked.  He is a retired vice president of Pearl River Community College and actually hired me in 2007.  I had no idea that he is a student of the  Civil War and has visited as many battlefields as he has.

The Poplarville Rotary Club presented me with a nice pen as a speaker's gift.  How cool!





Yesterday, I gave my talk at the Forrest County branch of Pearl River Community College in Hattiesburg.  It was a part of their lecture series for the honors institute, and I was able to give my full power point presentation with all the bells and whistles.  Several students who are members helped me get set up.  These young guys are so savvy when it comes to technology, and I think they enjoyed the challenge of making sure the wires were going where they were supposed to.  One young man (in one of the pictures below) introduced me and did a great job.   The honors students were very professional in their suits and ties as well as their mannerisms.  It was nice interacting with them.  Overall, it was a wonderful experience.

(Photos by Chuck Abadie)




I brought my gear, and the students enjoyed checking it out!



No comments:

Post a Comment